The tourism sector in South Africa’s KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) province was hit by deadly floods that claimed the lives of more than 400 people and damaged properties last week.
CAJ News Africa reports that plans are still on track to host Africa’s Travel Indaba next month in the province despite the disaster.
“We applaud the speedy action in clearing major affected roads,” Themba Khumalo, Acting Chief Executive Officer at South Africa Tourism, owner and host of Africa’s Travel Indaba was quoted as saying.
“This makes the province open and ready to welcome tourists and, all Indaba delegates who will come from various parts of South Africa and the world in May.”
He, however, said several government structures were working tirelessly to restore power and water in some affected areas.
The acting chief executive of Tourism KZN Phindile Makwakwa said they are confident there will be restoration within the province and a speedy recovery to get back to normality.
“Africa’s Travel Indaba will confidently demonstrate to exhibitors, buyers, and the international market that KZN is roaring again and ready to offer memorable travel and tourism experiences and events,” she said.
“More than contributing to the city and the province’s tourism sector and the economy as a whole, Africa’s Travel Indaba is poised to ensure that both our exhibitors and buyers extract maximum value from the trade show.”
Africa’s Travel Indaba is set for eThekwini (Durban) from May 2-5.